Monday, September 9, 2013

All Through the Night

Yesterday, Jon found this picture of my sisters and I with my Mom.
 
 
I think that it was taken on a Christmas morning before any of us sisters were married (our brother was on his mission).  I love this picture so much.  I'm pretty sure that we were all dying of laughter, as usual.  It's obvious, at least, that my Mom was laughing so hard that she didn't even have the strength to hold her head up! :)  I wouldn't doubt that we were laughing at the fact that we were all trying to squish (unsuccessfully) on a tiny sofa!
 
Since seeing this picture, I can't stop thinking about my Mom and how much I miss her!  I just can't believe that I can't see her (in this life) ever again.  I really miss the laughs that we would all have together.  We all suffer from the "uncontrollable laughter syndrome" (particularly when laughing is deemed extrememly innapropriate...like in the Temple!!).
 
Today was a long day.  Jon's going back to school (he wants to be a school administrator...and he'll be great at it!).  I would usually call my Mom on long days and she would never fail to make me laugh and help me to realize that the day would eventually end. :) 
 
Anyway, I was feeling a little sad today.  I decided to read a poem that Jon wrote a day or so after my Mom had died.  This poem is incredibly amazing.  I remember reading it for the first time and I couldn't stop crying.  Even as I read it today, I couldn't prevent the tears from falling.  Jon is very giften and has such a beautiful way with words.  When I read this poem, I truly feel as if my Mom is talking.
 
 
all through the night
(in memorium -- susan dawn turley)
 
i felt you driving here
anxious and wishing
were feelings we shared
miles encroach between
my daughters fair
my will towards you
my love imbue
safety ensue
i prayed for you
--all through the night
 
i hold my children near
since from the first time
when they became mine
mnutes encroach between
my children dear
eternity
felicity
and lovingly
you prayed for me
--into the night
 
in the room with my love
my body broken
my heart molded
by my faithful
--husband.
you hold my tender hand
akin to the day we wed
always to be
your Sweetie
though the day long
and your grief strong
i've always loved you
and will continue to love you
--all through the night
 
this life was the time
to prepare to meet
--those who blessed my life
--those whose lives i've blessed
a time that i so
cherished...
relished...
 
night will give way to dawn
 
i have left this frail existence
i have left my mortal by
i shall await with eager presence
in the royal courts on high
 
neigher weep nor beseech
my suff'ring now gone
my love now prolong
i am within your reach
live for each day
happy alway
as mem'ries sway
think me this way
i will be there
--all through your night
 
 
jonathan over
1 may 2013

1 comment:

Naomi and Family said...

That poem is beautiful. It made me cry. What a sweet poem for Jonathan to have written for you and your mother. Thank you for sharing. So wonderful you have those memories to keep! So much love.