Tuesday, August 31, 2010

September 1st

September 1st, 2010 is an awesome day!

It is exactly 4 years since we were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple...












And it is exactly 1 year since Bryce graced the world with his presence!


(Too see more pictures, see the slide show below this post.)


Time sure has flown by quickly! It's crazy to think that an entire year has gone by since Jon and I were eating at B.J.'s in an effort to celebrate our 3rd wedding anniversary. And I went into hard labor in the middle of dinner. And we rushed to the hospital just in time to push Bryce out less than 2 hours later. What a memory! What an anniversary!

I think that it's pretty neat to share our anniversary with the birthday of one of our children. Because although I loved Jon so much when we got married (of course), that love multiplied by the zillions once we became parents. Our kids help mold us into the people, and the couple, that we need to become and they truly bring out the best qualities in us. (And sometimes the worst too...but that's beside the point.) ;) I have loved forming a family with Jon and I wouldn't want my life any other way right now.

A lot of people don't really know how Jon and I met. Or how we came to be together. So, in celebration of our anniversary, I'm going to briefly summarize our story. I really don't expect anyone to read this. It's just kind of fun for me to reminisce...

August 4th, 2005: I had must moved to CA and I didn't know too many people. The YSA ward went to the L.A. Temple once a week to do baptisms for the dead, so I decided to go. And I met Jon for the first time. I know that this sounds cliche, but I swear that I had seen him before somewhere! My first impressions of him? He was extremely nice. And probably rich. He had a brand new car!

August 11th, 2005: Jon took me on our first date. He picked me up at 10:00 a.m. -- and he brought flowers!! We doubled with Rod and Lona (an unofficially engaged couple). We went to the beach and had a picnic lunch. Then we cleaned up (as well as possible) and went to a Kenneth Cope performance at the visitors center. And then we did baptisms for the dead. And then we went out to eat at Denny's. It was the longest date that I had ever been on in my entire life! Impressions? He is WAY too good for me. I shouldn't pursue this relationship!

A few weeks later: We went out again. Jon was quiet and hardly said a word. I felt extremely awkward. My thoughts? Well, I guess that he doesn't like me. His thoughts? I'm not going to pursue her anymore because there are too many guys after her. My current thoughts on his thoughts? WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!

We didn't say a word to each other for months.

New Years Eve, 2005:
I had just broken up with my boyfriend. (A short relationship that I really don't prefer to dwell on, but I was devastated at the time for some reason). Jon felt bad for me and so he invited me to a party at his house. So I went. And watched him kiss his girlfriend at midnight. In my opinion, however, he really didn't look happy with his girlfriend. Which I know now is 100% true.

May 20th, 2006: Jon left a message on my phone wondering if I would go out with him again. We played phone tag for nearly a week.

May 25th, 2006: We went on our first date of the "second round", as we like to refer to it as. He picked me up and gave me green flowers. He remembered, even after all of the months that we never spoke to each other, that my favorite color was green. I was very impressed! We went to Apollo Park and walked around and played on the swings for a few hours. And talked like crazy. And then we went out to eat at Johnny Carino's. And talked some more. And then he took me home and was so elated that I couldn't sleep the entire night (let alone teach anything worthwhile to my freshman the next day!). Impressions? He is seriously the best guy that I have ever met in my entire life and I can't believe that I didn't go after him last summer.

May 28th, 2006: I had to go to Utah to attend my sisters high school graduation. So what did I do? I asked Jon to come too. There were 3 other girls in the car too, so he was definitely singled out! We all went to church in order to take the sacrament, and then we went back to my apartment to change our clothes really quickly before the trip. Jon was a such a gentleman and refused to even be in the apartment when any of the girls were changing their clothes (even if we were in the locked bathroom). Again, I was so impressed! The trip was fun. Jon didn't meet my parents though. I dropped him off at a mission buddy's home.

May 30th, 2006: Jon called me from his friends house and wanted to know if I would meet him at temple square. I, of course, jumped on the opportunity and drove the hour and a half down there. He didn't know that it was such a long drive, or he probably wouldn't have asked me. But I'm glad that he did because this was the day that he apparently knew that I was the one for him.

We returned to CA and continued to spend a lot of time together.

June 5th, 2006:
I returned from work to see a card taped to my door. A card from Jon, of course. And it was the sweetest thing that any member of the opposite gender had ever written me.

June 8th, 2006: Jon asked me to be his girlfriend. I was really nervous because I truly had no idea why a guy like him would want a crazy girl like me. I really didn't want my heart broken. Again. But I consented, of course.

June 14th, 2006: Jon and I were sitting in his car after a date and he told me that he wanted to tell me something. He wouldn't say it, but I told him that I already knew what he was going to say and that I thought the exact same thing. We finally got it out. We both felt and knew that we were going to get married. After laughing for a while (I mean, really, we hardly knew each other!), we decided on a December wedding. It was quickly changed to September. :)

I called my Mom the next day and told her the news. Yeah, she was a little shocked. But she knew that it must be right because I am not the kind of person to jump into things like this. If that were the case, I would have been married a long time ago!

We called our friends. No one believed us. Most people didn't even know we were dating.

Jon met my parents.
And they approved. Big time. In fact, if I remember correctly, my Dad's exact words were, "Andy, where did you find him? He's almost too good to be true.". Thanks, Dad. I fully agree with you 110%.

My Grandpa Turley sealed us together in the Salt Lake Temple on September 1st, 2006. And my life has been a dream ever since.

Thank you, Honey Poo, for loving me (for some reason) and choosing to marry ME (rather than all of the other girls that were beating down your door). I'm not sure what I did to deserve you, but I would never trade you for the world.

Happy Anniversary!

And Happy Birthday to Brycie-Boy too!



5 comments:

The Morreys said...

What a cute love story! Happy anniversary and happy birthday to Bryce. I can't believe he is a year old already!!

Creel Family said...

Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday, Brycie Boy. I love your story and it gets better every time!

Naomi and Family said...

NO! He is not one!! Oh my goodness! He is such a cutie! Happy birthday! And happy Anniversary!

The Everts said...

Cute story and GREAT memory. I could not remember dates for the life of me. Happy Birthday to your little guy and happy anniversary!

Kimberlee said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post. I love reading about how other people met and the little details that make us laugh. I love the assessments of each other then and now. It sounds like it all happened just how it was supposed to. Cute story and happy birthday to your little boy, Bryce.