Monday, August 23, 2010

Earthquakes

We have been thinking a lot about emergency preparedness lately. Because, in reality, the question isn't "IF", but rather "WHEN" we are going to experience an earthquake. To be honest, I'm scared out of my mind! I often find myself running various scenarios through my mind in an effort to prepare myself. I wouldn't be as apprehensive if it weren't for the two little rascals that depend on me for their safety. What if a 10.0 earthquake hits when Jon's at work, and the kids and I are at home are in separate rooms, at opposite ends of the house? Will I be able to rescue and protect my children in time? What if I'm in the shower when it happens? Seriously, that wouldn't be the best spot to be in in the middle of an earthquake! That would mean that I would have to jump out of the tub, run and grab my children, race to the middle of the street, and dodge falling telephone poles while being stark naked. Hmm...not a pretty picture to imagine. However, since it hasn't happened yet, it's kind of comical!

Anyway, I'm scared of earthquakes. But what can we do to prepare ourselves? Not much. We don't sleep underneath windows and we make sure that everything we hang on our walls are stuck for eternity. And we have been attempting to develop our food storage. Enough water and calories to last for at least a week until help comes.

I organized our pantry today in an effort to take a casual inventory. Just to see how long we could actually survive on the food that we have. Jon strongly believes that we could survive nearly one month. Not eating like kings, of course, but by consuming 2 - 3 meals per day. I, on the other hand, beg to differ.

Because what did I find?

This:






Yup, that's right. Condiments galore.

19 Bottles of Salad Dressing
10 Bottles of BBQ Sauce
4 Jars of Mayo (in addition to a large box of mayo packets)
2 Bottles of Ketchup

And other random condiments, like mustard, teryaki sauce, Worcestershire sauce, peanut butter, jam, and corn syrup.

Let's just say that Jon is OBSESSED with buying condiments! He goes shopping and comes home with bags of salad dressing. Why? Because they were on sale. Well, that's just fine with me. As long as he is willing to be the one to gulp down all of the bottled sugars and saturated fats in an emergency! :)

Nah, I'm joking. I'm really fine with all of our condiments. Besides, they will probably make our gigantic bags of dehydrated carrots and re-fried beans more edible. Or edible, period.

In reality, after examining our pantry, I'm feeling better about the whole earthquake situation. We have water (although we could definitely use more). We have food (or something that somewhat resembles it). Now if we can only make our pantry earthquake safe...

Because it would really bite if an Earthquake demolishes our pantry.

And everything in it.

Especially our bottled lipids.

Earthquake?

Bring it on!

Well, you can wait till my kids are grown if you want to...

pretty please???

4 comments:

Naomi and Family said...

You are TOO CUTE!! Hahaha! I love the salad dressing! I just now need to give you some lasagna noodles and you could have a ranch lasagna!

I am with you though! I get nervous too! I am so grateful you guys just live around the corner. It's comforting. Even (or should I say especially) in a crisis, don't ever be afraid to ask if you need something! We even have a gas shutter offer thingy just in case you need us to shut off your gas! :)

Kimberlee said...

I loved this post. I about died looking at all of those condiments. Also, reading how you said Jon can eat all the condiments. Ha ha ha!!! I agree on the earthquake waiting until my kids are grown as well. :)

La Vita Bella said...

I'm loving all those condiments! It's funny because just the other day in the paper was an article about how an earthquake is overdue for the San Andreas fault and it got me thinking about how prepared we are, so I'm glad you wrote about this. I hope too that our food doesn't get damaged if one occurs.

Lacey said...

All the pictures of your condiments just make me giggle! But I think you seriously have a point about them making all of the dehydrated foods more palatable. :) The idea of a major earthquake is a scary thought for sure, but you're obviously doing your best to prepare. Good for you! (And for your sake I truly hope that if/when it does happen you don't end up having to run naked into the street! ;)